Minecraft is unquestionably one of the most successful games ever released. At time of writing, the Minecraft franchise – which consists of the core Minecraft game, of course, as well as ancillary games and merchandising – had crossed $7.46 billion worldwide. The game is showing no signs of slowing, either, with regular content updates and a thriving modding scene continuing to keep it alive. It’s fair to say that gamers have pretty much discovered every secret that Minecraft has to offer, with very little left to the imagination in Mojang’s masterpiece.
Of course, that doesn’t mean that certain elements of Minecraft can’t continue to befuddle and confuse gamers, and one of those elements is honeycomb. It’s a relatively simple item to acquire and use in crafting, but many Minecraft players still get tripped up by it, wondering where to find it until they get frustrated and give up on their craft projects. If you’re wondering how to get honeycomb in Minecraft, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s our guide on obtaining this wonderful item, using it in crafting, and even spawning it if you don’t want to go looking!
What you’ll need to get honeycomb in Minecraft
Here are all the items you’re going to need if you want to get some honeycomb in Minecraft.
- Shears. Like many other tools in Minecraft, you can craft shears yourself. All you need to make them are two iron ingots, and once you have those, you can simply open the crafting menu, add the two iron ingots to the nine-square grid, and confirm that you want to craft them. It’s that simple. With that in mind, you are also going to need Iron Ingots, which you can get by smelting some Iron Ore. It’s best to collect more than you need, just in case.
- A Bee Nest or Beehive. Obviously, in order to harvest honeycomb, you’re going to need to be somewhere that bees hang out. That means finding either a Bee Nest or Beehive.
- A weapon of some kind. Technically, you don’t actually need a weapon to gather honeycomb in Minecraft, but it will come in handy. You’ll see why in a moment.
How to get honeycomb in Minecraft
So, you’ve got all the necessary tools for gathering honeycomb in Minecraft. What do you do next? Well, luckily for you, it’s pretty simple. Here are the steps for getting Minecraft honeycomb.
- Approach a Bee Nest or Beehive with your shears and attack it. The only way to get honeycomb in Minecraft is to attack a Bee Nest or Beehive with your shears. Doing this will harvest the honeycomb from the nest or the hive, after which there won’t be any honey left.
- Prepare to defend yourself against the bees. If you attack a Bee Nest or Beehive, then you’ve got to be prepared for reprisal, and that’s exactly what’s going to happen. Bees will start to spawn from the hive, and they’re going to be angry. They also won’t stop chasing you until they’ve inflicted damage, so you can either fight them or use console commands to kill them if you like.
- Repeat as much as you like. Bee Nests aren’t going to despawn unless you kill all of the bees in the area, so you can repeat this process as many times as you need to (provided that you haven’t murdered all the bees in the vicinity, that is).
What can you use Minecraft honeycomb for?
Honeycomb is a versatile material in Minecraft, and you can use it for many different things. For example, did you know that you can actually use honeycomb to make your own Beehive? It’s true – you’re going to need Wood Planks and Honeycomb to create a Beehive, but once you have six planks and three honeycomb, you can make your very own hive of industrious, friendly bees.
Another thing you can make with honeycomb in Minecraft is “waxed” items, which consist of a copper item and some honeycomb. If you add wax to items, it will stop them from rusting, which means that they won’t turn green (as items often do in the real world when they’re afflicted by rust). If you’ve got a weapon you particularly like the look of that’s made of copper, try to apply honeycomb to it and be amazed by the results!
If you need some illumination and you want something atmospheric, then you can also use honeycomb to make candles. To do this, you’re going to need some String, which you’ll need to place above a block of honeycomb in the crafting window. This will give you a candle. Make sure to gather enough string and honeycomb to make as many candles as you’re going to need for whatever spooky project you have cooking!
That’s not all, though – there’s also a certain type of block you can make with Minecraft honeycomb. The Honeycomb Block is aptly-named; it looks like a honeycomb and makes a great accompaniment for any kind of insect-themed creation you’re trying to make. All you need to craft a honeycomb block is four pieces of honeycomb, which you need to put together in the crafting window. Once you’ve done this, you’ll have a honeycomb block and you can make some beautiful creations with it!
We hope this guide on how to get honeycomb in Minecraft and how to use it has been helpful. What’s your favourite material to build with in Minecraft?