Report: Rockstar Says Leaks Won’t Push Back GTA 6 Gameplay Premiere

NerdLeaks
3 min

GTA 6 is at the centre of one of gaming’s messiest weeks — yet, if the latest coverage is accurate, Rockstar is allegedly sticking to its plans. According to Insider Gaming, and drawing on reporting from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, the studio reportedly has not identified the leaker behind the CYBERLEEK material and “management is treating the response as all hands on deck.” Even so, the company allegedly has no plans to delay its gameplay premiere or immediately change its marketing strategy.

What Was Reported

Per Insider Gaming, several key claims are being made about the current situation:

  • Leaks attributed to the anonymous group CYBERLEEK dominated headlines this week.
  • GTA 6 was slated for a major reveal on Netflix on August 25, but the leaks and a cyberattack a week earlier have reportedly upended those plans.
  • Despite those developments, Rockstar allegedly will not move the gameplay premiere or immediately overhaul its marketing approach.
  • Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick had already been running a large media push before the leaks, saying he views the price for GTA 6 as “a good bargain” and promoting the partnership with Netflix.
  • GTA 6 has reportedly already generated a healthy amount of money in pre-orders, and those sales are unlikely to significantly dent consumer hype, per the reporting.
  • Insider coverage also notes that Rockstar employees are reportedly frustrated and exhausted.

The Source & Credibility

All of this is being reported by Insider Gaming, which cites a report from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier. Take this with a pinch of salt: the story combines company-facing claims (management posture, pre-order strength) with accounts of internal morale and an ongoing investigation into leaked material.

Insider Gaming itself flagged that the leaks and the earlier cyberattack have “upended” the studio’s plans. The outlet also says it will continue to monitor developments. For readers following the legal and investigative dimension, see our coverage of Take-Two Subpoenas Microsoft And Discord. For background on the group pushing footage and messages, our piece on CYBERLEEK Warns Rockstar — More GTA 6 Footage Could Follow may be useful.

What It Could Mean

If the claims are accurate, there are a few straightforward takeaways — and a few open-ended possibilities. First, if Rockstar really has not identified the leaker, the company is still operating with a layer of uncertainty around security and information control. That could mean heightened internal focus on containment and legal remedies, even while public-facing plans remain unchanged.

Second, the suggestion that there are no plans to delay its gameplay premiere or immediately change its marketing strategy implies confidence that the planned reveal — including the Netflix tie-in scheduled for August 25 — will retain enough impact to justify proceeding. If true, that’s a vote of faith in the existing rollout and in the resilience of pre-order momentum.

Third, the reporting that pre-orders have already been healthy suggests the commercial baseline for GTA 6 is strong enough that leaks may not materially reduce consumer interest. That said, the human cost hinted at — employees feeling frustrated and exhausted — is a softer but important risk to sustained momentum if the situation drags on.

Why This Matters

This episode matters for several reasons. For one, it tests whether a major publisher can absorb large, unauthorized leaks without recalibrating a high-profile marketing campaign. For another, it raises questions about security, corporate response, and employee wellbeing within studios handling tentpole franchises.

Finally, the commercial stakes are clear: GTA 6 is already generating pre-order revenue, and Take-Two Interactive executives have been publicly arguing the game’s value — including the partnership with Netflix — is a selling point. If the current line from leadership holds, the industry may get to see the planned gameplay premiere on schedule, even if it’s no longer the “first look” Rockstar envisioned.

As always, take these claims with a pinch of salt — they are being reported by Insider Gaming and trace back to reporting by Bloomberg's Jason Schreier. We’ll be watching closely and will update readers if new information emerges.

Sources1
Click to verify
Share: